Friday, June 26, 2009

Shocking Responsibility

I found myself in a very large kitchen with family and friends preparing for an event. We gathered together to clean the kitchen which was in disarray. When the lights were flipped on some unidentified piece of equipment sitting on top of the refrigerator started rotating and spewing dirt all over us and the kitchen. I told one of my pregnant cousins to hurry and unplug the device or throw the switch for the power. As she headed to do so; I said be careful, I was worried it may not be safe. The outlet was sparking and still she grabbed for the plug and pulled it out of the socket, she burned one of her hands and was zapped by the electricity. We were all relieved the dirt spewing machine had been stopped and that my pregnant cousin appeared to be OK. However, my cousin was angry with me. She held up her hand to me and said "look, I've burned myself, and the electricity could have injured my baby". I felt worried for the baby too. I asked her why she touched it if it looked dangerous? She responded that I had asked her to and therefore it was my fault. I did not accept the blame; I told her that she was an adult and responsible for herself and that I was not to blame for her injury. Still, I felt anxious for the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment